Let’s be very clear about the title of this post. I’m saying that my sister and I are doing
a challenge together. I’m NOT saying that my sister is “challenging”.
I want to state that before I being to talk about the problems involved. So hear me, my sister is offering to do this quilt challenge with me. I’m not forcing myself upon her. We have established a few ground rules to guide us. But before we got through the first round we had a misunderstanding. (about the wording of the guidelines, not with words).
The design focus this year has been old linens and lace and we are only at the beginning stages but you can get a glimpse of a runner from old blocks here or a display scarf from vintage linens here. We took it a step further and started a round robin exchange between the two of us using old linens and lace in our quilts.
The rules: (that was the beginning of the “issues”-one of us likes rules and one doesn’t)
I’m not telling which sister made which “challenge” but here are the facts as they stand.
- Make a center 15 1/2″ unfinished — one ended up 20 1/2″
- Deadline was April 15th — one of us wanted to wait until May 2nd so we could open them together
- First round of borders would be 5 1/2″ unfinished — one ended up 5 1/2 inches “divided between two sides”
- One was designed with a verbal description– one changed her mind
- The borders would include the following in any order:
— one now says that one of those is included in her center
- Each sister would design and complete a border and then exchange — one designed the entire quilt!
None of that is the challenge!
The real challenge is that now I want HER quilt instead of mine! How do I break the news to her that I might not give hers back? She really stepped out of her box and designed her own center with MY favorite color scheme.
Don’t you LOVE this combination?! It will really shows off the old lace doilies and trims. I’m more excited about working on hers than on mine. Well, I need to go tell her that I’m facing a moral challenge of trying not to covet but have excused myself with just whining a little to you all.
A word to the wise…be careful when you accept a challenge it may be more challenging that you think!